According to several reports, a man attacked five individuals – three youngsters and two adults – near a school in Dublin on Thursday.
The stabbing happened just after 1:30 p.m. outside an elementary school in Parnell Square East, when the perpetrator allegedly attacked an adult woman first before stabbing the youngsters.
The woman and one of the children, a 5-year-old girl, were both critically injured.
According to local sources, the suspect was armed with a huge knife and was eventually tackled by another man.
According to RTE, Ireland’s semi-state broadcaster, all five casualties were evacuated to various hospitals around Dublin, including Children’s Health Ireland at Crumlin and the Mater Hospital.
The culprit was apprehended on the spot, and the motive for the crime is being reported as “unknown”; however, authorities have officially ruled out terrorism.
There are, however, graphic reports showing the alleged suspect. (They cannot be shown here, proceed with caution.)
Siobhan Kearney, a witness to the crime, described what she saw as “absolutely bedlam.”
Kearney told RTÉ she watched people disarm a man who she said had a knife.
“I looked across the road and I see the man and the stabbing motion with a load of children so I flew across the road.
“The man was after stabbing two children as far as I could make out, and we got the children up to the left with the women that were there, and the teachers I presume,” she told the broadcaster.
Kearney said that the woman and two of the children who had been attacked were then helped back to the school.
“It was absolutely bedlam,” she said. “It was horrendous. The poor children, the screams out of them.”
She added that she was “very much shaken up” by what happened. “It’s not a thing that you like to see in your own city.”
There is public outrage about the suspect reportedly being a foreigner; however, there is no official confirmation that this is the case.
Multiple stabbings of young school children in Dublin City Center 🇮🇪
A five year old girl is alleged to have passed away due to her injuries 🇮🇪
Every single politician , NGO & bought & paid for piece of filth that welcomed these foreign criminals to our shores.
ON EVERY ONE… pic.twitter.com/ShnP6YWU38
— Fergus (Ferg) Power (@FergusPower1) November 23, 2023
There are unconfirmed rumors in Dublin that the suspect is Algerian. Again, this is not confirmed and authorities are reluctant to reveal such information.
The word on the street in Dublin, Ireland is that the mass stabbing suspect, who stabbed three children, is an Algerian. Things are heating up. pic.twitter.com/0oie5xvPrZ
— Ian Miles Cheong (@stillgray) November 23, 2023
Ireland’s Justice Minister, Helen McEntee, stated that police are following a specific investigation and no other suspects are being sought.
“I am deeply shocked by the appalling attack on three innocent children and a woman,” McEntee said in a statement posted to X.
“All our thoughts are with those injured, especially with the children, their parents and families, during this extremely difficult period. This attack has shocked us all, and I have no doubt that the person responsible will be brought to justice.”
Irish Prime Minister Leo Varadkar issued a statement in response to McEntee’s remarks.
“We are all shocked by the incident which has taken place in Parnell Square,” Varadkar said.
“Our thoughts and our prayers go out to [the victims] and their families. I have been in contact with the Minister for Justice who is keeping me updated. The facts in this matter are still emerging.”