FBI Now Has Photos And Identities Of Possible Guthrie Suspects

Federal agents investigating the disappearance of Nancy Guthrie are quietly zeroing in on potential suspects, but officials say they are still far from making an arrest.

CBS News reported late Wednesday that the FBI possesses photos and names of individuals investigators believe could be the masked man captured on surveillance video outside Guthrie’s Tucson home. The footage shows a figure on her front porch carrying what appears to be a holstered firearm.

Authorities have not released those identities publicly. The list is believed to have been compiled by cross-referencing purchases of a distinctive holster and a backpack sold exclusively at Walmart, according to the report.

The suspect is described as a man of average build standing roughly 5 feet 9 inches to 5 feet 10 inches tall, the Daily Mail reported.

No official suspect images have been released. It also remains unclear whether the list is connected to unidentified DNA recovered inside Guthrie’s home.

Guthrie, 84, the mother of “Today” show co-anchor Savannah Guthrie, vanished in the early hours of Feb. 1. Investigators believe she was abducted from her residence. A chilling doorbell video later recovered by the FBI shows a man disabling the camera system before the disappearance.

Despite multiple detentions of persons of interest, authorities say none have produced credible leads about Guthrie’s whereabouts.

Earlier Wednesday, CBS affiliate KOLD-TV reported that federal agents were visiting businesses across the Tucson area carrying packets of individuals they wanted witnesses to review.

Phillip Martin, co-owner of Armor Bearer Arms, said agents asked him to examine photos of roughly 18 to 24 people to determine whether any had purchased a firearm from his shop.

He said he was not told what case the inquiry involved but suspected it was tied to the Guthrie investigation.

“Based on that video I saw of the kidnapper at the house who was caught on camera — the facial hair that I saw on the video reminds me a lot of these photographs,” Martin said.

Martin later told Fox News he initially questioned whether the request was legitimate but ultimately cooperated out of concern for the family.

“I felt bad for the family. Anything that could help them find the person I was willing to help,” he said.

RELATED: JUST IN: Search For Nancy Guthrie Shifts To Mexico After New Ransom Note Is Revealed

Get The Free News Addicts Newsletter

We don’t spam! Read our privacy policy for more info.

CBS News later confirmed that agents had been canvassing businesses.

Still, Pima County Sheriff Chris Nanos cautioned that investigators have not narrowed the search to a specific suspect.

“We haven’t narrowed it down to anything other than we have pieces of evidence that we’re looking at to try to find this individual,” Nanos said.

Authorities continue to urge the public to come forward with information as the high-profile case stretches into its third week with no confirmed suspects and no sign of Guthrie.

Download the FREE Trending Politics App to get the latest news FIRST >>

SHARE THIS:
By Hunter Fielding
Subscribe
Notify of
guest
0 Comments
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
0
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
()
x