Detroit Board Suspends Officers After CBP Contacts Under Sanctuary Rules

Detroit police suspended two officers without pay for 30 days after they contacted U.S. Customs and Border Protection during separate traffic stops, a move the department said violated the city’s sanctuary policies.

The department says those sanctuary rules bar police and city organizations from collaborating with federal immigration enforcement officers in routine matters.

The officers have been identified as Sgt. Denise Wallet, a 27-year veteran, and Officer James Corsi.

The Board of Police Commissioners approved the suspensions in a unanimous 10-0 vote following a closed-door hearing.

The officers will not receive pay during the 30-day period but will continue to receive medical benefits.

The incidents occurred on December 16, 2025, and February 9, 2026.

In the December stop Officer Corsi contacted CBP, which led to an individual being detained by federal agents.

In the February stop Sgt. Wallet contacted CBP during a traffic stop of a Spanish-speaking driver who presented a fraudulent driver’s license.

Department officials said Wallet called CBP for assistance after a fingerprint scanner failed rather than use the department’s contracted 24-hour translation line, and Wallet maintains the call was for identification purposes only.

In both cases the contacts resulted in the individuals being detained by CBP.

Detroit Police Chief Todd Bettison initially announced on February 12 that he intended to terminate both officers, citing violations of longstanding department policy.

The policy prohibits officers from coordinating with federal immigration authorities such as CBP or ICE in routine matters unless required by law.

Both officers had been placed on paid administrative leave before the board voted to suspend them without pay.

Chief Bettison said he was satisfied with the board’s decision and would not pursue terminations.

Get The Free News Addicts Newsletter

We don’t spam! Read our privacy policy for more info.

On February 19 Sgt. Wallet filed a federal lawsuit in the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan alleging her initial suspension violated her due process rights.

The lawsuit claims she received no prior notice or opportunity to respond and seeks to block further discipline, including unpaid suspension or termination.

Public records indicate there may have been additional contacts with CBP beyond these two incidents, though no other officers have faced discipline for similar actions.

SHARE THIS:
By Hunter Fielding
Subscribe
Notify of
guest
0 Comments
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
0
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
()
x